1 East 62nd Street, PH, Manhattan, NY 10065
One of New York's most legendary apartments, this coveted Penthouse is changing ownership for the first time in 25 years.
This pre-war, 11-room condominium Penthouse on 62nd Street is just off Fifth Avenue. This property, which has meticulously restored architectural details, ornate décor and double-height entertaining rooms, was home to the late entertainment legend, Joan Rivers. The triplex residence is in a fully staffed limestone mansion, originally built at the turn of the century as one of the opulent mansions of the Gilded Age. One enters from a residence exclusive elevator landing, which opens into one of the grandest rooms in Manhattan. The home's centerpiece is a ballroom and adjoining music room with 23' ceilings, gilded antique boisserie paneling and columns and two fireplaces -capacious spaces that allow for entertaining on a grand scale. Adjacent to the music room is a dining room that allows for more intimate gatherings -- its three French doors opening to the south-facing terrace, allowing for al fresco dining. The beautifully appointed wood-paneled library has a fireplace and faces south and west with views of Central Park and the Manhattan Skyline.
The second floor, with a mezzanine that overlooks the music room and ballroom, leads to the master suite, which has French doors opening to its own south-facing terrace with views of Central Park. Staff quarters can be accessed from this floor, which has a separate staircase leading to the kitchen.
A separate but contiguous two-bedroom, two-bath guest quarters has its own large living room with a fireplace and an eat-in kitchen.
1 East 62nd Street-Background
• Built: 1903
• 42’-wide, 7-story limestone mansion
• Original owners: Gilded Age millionaires, Alice and John S. Drexel
• Architect: Horace Trumbauer – prominent Gilded Age architect
1 East 62nd Street Penthouse Residence – Property Details
• Triplex Condominium Apartment
• Interior space: approximately 5,100 sq. ft.
• Outdoor space: two terraces – approximately 430 sq. ft.
• Elevator entrance into exclusive landing
• 11 rooms
• Ballroom and music room feature 23’ ceilings, double-height windows and two of the apartments five wood burning fireplaces
• Library with Central Park and skyline view
• Dining Room with Central Park and skyline view
• 2 Kitchens
• 4 bedrooms
• 4.5 baths
• 5 fireplaces
Listing Courtesy of Corcoran
5,100 Sq.Ft. LIVING AREA
Leighton Candler and her team strive to assess their customers' specific needs and personality, and then zero in on the right neighborhood, building, and apartment to fulfill their requirements.